Number 4: Eat a new vegetable

April 20, 2019

I randomly chose a vegetable while shopping at Food Basics last week.  It is called an Eddoe.  Here is the Wikipedia explanation for what it is.

Eddoe or eddo is a tropical vegetable often considered identifiable as the species Colocasia antiquorum,[2] closely related to taro(dasheen, Colocasia esculenta), which is primarily used for its thickened stems (corms).[3][4] It has smaller corms than taro, and in most cultivars there is an acrid taste that requires careful cooking.[3] The young leaves can also be cooked and eaten, but (unlike taro) they have a somewhat acrid taste.

Apparently Eddoe is pretty good for you, full of vitamins, minerals and fibre.  Without doing much research, but because it looked a little like a potato, I decided to slice the eddoe and fry it in butter.  It turned out pretty well.  I shared it with my parents and my kids.  Everyone agreed it was tasty.  Mind you, everything tastes better with butter!  


Comments

Popular Posts